Thursday 26 October 2023

The lyre of Orpheus

 I wake up in the middle of the night. 

Like every night. 

I hear a distant refrain, 

that draws me to itself, 

like the lyre of Orpheus. 

I stare into a vacuum. 

I walk into an abyss. 

Like Eurydice, 

I walk behind you, 

scared.

Afraid, you'll turn around, 

and I'll lose you, forever! 


And so I sing, 

to let you know I walk behind. 

Songs from when we first met, 

in the ruins of the lost empire of Thrace. 

When we had in our hearts, 

a love, so pure, 

so powerful,

it cast a spell upon the lands, 

turning ruins into grasslands, 

and ashes into flowers, 

and wastelands into oceans, 

and rocks into stars! 

Tossing all everything that had been dead for thousands and thousands of years, 

into the raging fire of passion, 

turning it into a throbbing heart. 


But like I, drawn to the music of your lyre, 

walk behind you, 

in my sleep, 

you drawn to my song, 

turn around, 

helpless! 

Every night! 

Just before we could reach 

the ruins of Thrace one last time! 


And when the wise men tell our story,

they say, 

such is the force of love! 

Only lovers sigh and say, 

such is the fate of those who love!


26th of October, 2023 

No comments:

Post a Comment