Saturday 8 July 2017

Caged

Little blue bird,
you stare at me
from inside the cage;
your fiery red eyes
raging indignant.
I stare back at you,
amazed to see the limitless expanse 
of the open sky
gathered in your dreary little eyes,
Sun, Moon and Stars
all summoned up together,
hopes and fears and dreams collecting
at the sagging edges of your sad eyes!

Dear little bird,
you look at me with your eyes
groggy with the burden of an agony
long overborne,
your tired little wings 
injured from flapping incessantly,
restless in captivity!

You brood over your loneliness
inside your little cage.
while I pine for your company
lonely in the wide open outside!
Together we languish,
separated by circumstance,
united in our suffering,
yet precious mate!
even as I stare back at you
from outside the cage, 
like one stares at oneself 
in a mirror,
and I brood and pine 
and languish with you
like one broods and pines for life;
.. I cannot love you ..
from my world outside,
the moment of our union,
merely a gaze - the meeting of two pairs of eyes
an illusion, suspended in time ..

- My existence, unbridled
yet the trappings of the cage of existence!
.. and while you long for the
open blue skies,
I pine

 for the secure fastenings
of the cage!

No comments:

Post a Comment